The Tivoli Theatre Company Ltd. © 2016
Regeneration - About the Project
The Tivoli Theatre is one of Scotland's most historic buildings. Grade A Listed, it had stood unused and neglected since 1997. The Tivoli Theatre Company Ltd. purchased the building in 2009 and have restored it back to its former glory.
The theatre was founded in 1872 as Her Majesty’s Opera House and designed by James Matthews and C.J. Phipps. The building was improved and redeveloped in 1897 and 1909 by renowned theatrical architect Frank Matcham. Re-opening in 1910 as the Tivoli of Varieties, the theatre hosted some of the worlds best-known performers such as Charlie Chaplin, Stan Laurel and W.C Fields. The building continued to cater for theatre-going audiences until 1966, when the main auditorium began use as a bingo hall, remaining so until 1997, when the Tivoli finally closed its doors to the public. This popular Aberdeen landmark fell into total disrepair and was put on the Risk Register as critical.
The Tivoli Theatre Company Ltd. have completely restored the building making it an ideal multi functional venue while at the same time protecting the historic auditorium.
History of the theatre
The Tivoli Theatre
Or call Aberdeen Box Office on 01224 641122
The Tivoli is now under the ownership of the Tivoli Theatre Company Ltd., who have restored the building and created a useable and sustainable space for modern-day use.
The project's proposals were focused around preservation of the theatre's impressive Grade A Listed auditorium. (Shown Below)
The Tivoli is now a significant new public attraction located in the heart of historic Aberdeen, with good transport links, and adjacent to the Union Square retail centre.
The stage and pit areas have been retained for performances, and will equally provide flexible space for exhibitions and functions.